PLACEMENT LOCATION : Colombo
ROLE :To follow the observership at national cancer institute teaching hospital under the supervision of senior doctors
TYPES OF PLACEMENTS :Hospitals work
REQUIREMENTS :Medical School Students / Nursing Students
ACCOMMODATION :Host family / Student House
LENGTH OF PLACEMENT :From 01-08 weeks START DATES: Flexible
The placement is maximum of 08 weeks at public teaching hospital. You can follow the ward rounds with local staff, observer various medical treatments, examine patient’s clinical history records.
Following services are offered by the hospital at national level for the patients.
• Emergency treatment: severe tooth ache, dental abscesses, post operative bleeding swelling and other complications of dental origin and dental/Maxillofacial trauma which need emergency management.
• Basic treatment on request:
Dental extraction, simple restorations, scaling ect.
Advanced restorations and minor oral surgical procedures may be done in those clinics where the facilities are available.
• Regular checkups and follow up: Patients who need extra care against dental diseases and those who have medical problems that may affect the dental/oral health are called upon for periodical checkups and follow ups.
• Screening for dental diseases and oral lesions: Early detection of dental caries, periodontal diseases and premalignant lesions will be done.
• Referral center: The dental clinic being the focal point for advanced treatment modalities act as a main referral center for appropriate specialized units such as OMF, Orthodontic and Restorative.
Dental Public health:
• Oral Health Unit of Family Health Bureau: plan, implement, monitor and coordinates the National Program of Oral Health Care to pregnant mothers and School Dental Services.
• Oral Health Unit of Health Education Bureau: plan, implement and coordinate oral health communication strategies, production of oral health education material.
• Oral Health Unit of National Cancer Control Programme: Plan, implement, monitor and evaluate the national oral cancer control programme
• Dental Therapist Training School Maharagama: Training Institution for School Dental Therapists
• Research & surveillance Division- Institute of Oral Health Maharagama
• Training Division- IOH, Maharagama: Conducting in-service training programmes for all categories of oral health care providers
• Main diseases and conditions which are treated in government specialized restorative units
• Dental trauma in children and adultsComplex endodontic procedures- non surgical and surgical
• Removable prosthodontics which include removable partial dentures and obturators for congenital and surgical defects
• Advanced restorative treatment of children under local and general anesthesia
• Non surgical and surgical periodontal treatment for all kinds of gum diseases
• Restorative care of patients with a variety of conditions in which dental treatment can be hazardous or complex. For example, patients with bleeding disorders, leukemia, endocardial lesions, some form of drug therapy, the elderly patient with special problems and those with learning difficulties
• Multidisciplinary care for Patients with congenital facial clefts or major dental abnormalities jointly with Orthodontist, OMF surgeon, Pediatrician and other medical specialties
• Management of patients with developmental anomalies
• Management of discoloured teeth
• Management of worn dentition
Orthodontics is the Dental specialty concerned with the growth of face , jaws and teeth and the practice of preventing and correcting irregularities of them .
OMF Surgery (Oral and maxillofacial Surgery):
• Minor Oral Surgery – Dentoalveolar surgery such as surgery to remove impacted teeth, difficult tooth extractions, extractions on medically compromised patients, root canal surgeries, preprosthetic surgery to provide better anatomy for the placement of dentures, or other dental prostheses)
• Extractions and treatment under anesthesia for uncooperative and special children.
• Diagnosis and treatment of non cancer (cysts, tumors etc.)
• Diagnosis and treatment ablative and reconstructive surgery, of oral & head and neck cancer
• Diagnosis and treatment of cutaneous malignancy in face
• Management of pre-cancer
• Management of oral mucosal diseases as ulcers, growths, blisters and white/red patches in cheek, tongue, palate, lips and gums
• Diagnosis and treatment of congenital craniofacial malformations such as cleft lip and palate
• Diagnosis and treatment of salivary gland problems
• Diagnosis and treatment of chronic facial pain disorders
• Diagnosis and treatment of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders
• Diagnosis and treatment of jaw deformities. Orthognathic surgery is performed for surgical correction of jaw deformities and facial asymmetry.
• Diagnosis and treatment of soft and hard tissue trauma of the oral and maxillofacial region (jaw fractures, cheek bone fractures, LeFort fracture and eye socket fractures).
• Surgical treatment of sleep apnea ( maxilla mandibular advancement)
• Cosmetic surgery of the head and neck , browlift, blepharoplasty/cheek augmentation, chin augmentation, inject able cosmetic treatments, (Botox, chemical peel etc.)
Forensic dentistry is a developing area in Sri Lanka but this specialty is well established in Western countries. Synonyms are Forensic Odontology and Forensic Odonto Stomatology.